Monday, February 6, 2012

Play, Louis, Play! and Our New Book Club

Play, Louis, Play! The True Story of a Boy and His Horn
Author/illustrator: Muriel Harris Weinstein/Frank Morrison
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's (December 2011)
Categories: Biography; Chapter Book

This is the story of Louis Armstrong's childhood, as told by his first horn, which little Louis purchased from a New Orleans hock shop for $5. Not only did the boys enjoy the book, but they now want to learn how to play the trumpet and go to the Louis Armstrong House Museum in New York. And one of them spent two days looking up Louis Armstrong music on MOG.

The boys and I started a new book club, modeled after an idea at The First Grade Parade, and Play, Louis, Play! was our first book. We called our book club the Pop Bag Book Club because one boy wanted it to be called the Popcorn Book Club and the other wanted it to be called the Brown Bag Book Club. So we compromised.

Here are our popcorn bags, with the boys' thinking maps attached. On the thinking maps, we have characters, setting, main idea, and favorite part. I had Johnny Boo dictate to me. We talked about what they'd written down, and anything else about the book, New Orleans, jazz, and racial discrimination that came up.
















Here's Tintin eating his popcorn and figuring out where New Orleans is and how far away it is from the Louis Armstrong House Museum in New York:


5 comments:

Grandma and Grandpa said...

We like it. Very original!

Playing by the book said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book club idea! What a great way to get kids talking about (and enjoying talking about) books. I'm going to have to see how I can include it in my voluntary work and my daughters' school :-) Thanks for the inspiration.

Annie said...

I love reading your blog, especially when Annie and Aunt is feeling girl-heavy. Tonight I've given you a Liebster Award, which you can read more about here: http://annieandaunt.blogspot.com/2012/02/little-love-for-our-fellow-kid-lit.html

Storied Cities said...

I love the book club idea. What a fun way to get the boys involved with the books. We also love books about musicians, but I haven't seen this one, yet.

Eric VanRaepenbusch said...

I love how you squished the suggested names together to come up with your book club name!

This sounds like a great book too!