Saturday, February 12, 2011

Books of the Week – February 12, 2011

Here are our favorites from the past week:

Tintin, age 8

The Chocolate Touch
Author/illustrator: Patrick Skene Catling
Publisher: Yearling (June 1998)
Source: Half Price Books/home library

John Midas is a picky eater, but he really likes chocolate. After a visit to a strange candy store, everything he puts in his mouth turns to chocolate and suddenly he's not a picky eater anymore. However, it doesn't take John long before he realizes that not everything his mouth touches should turn to chocolate. I'm not sure if Tintin came to that conclusion (see his note below), but he loved this book, especially once John got the chocolate touch. Of course, Tintin loves any book about chocolate, as I think most children his age would.

Tintin's note: I like it because he kisses his mother and she turns to chocolate. And because when he dunks for apples the water turns to chocolate syrup.

Find it: Amazon, Half Price Books, IndieBound
 
Garfield: Survival of the Fattest
Author/illustrator: Jim Davis
Publisher: Ballantine Books (February 2004)
Source: Half Price Books/home library

Garfield is a cat. One who likes to eat. A lot. And he's funny. I'm not really sure what else there is to say about Garfield. Except that Tintin really likes him.

Tintin's note: I like Garfield because he acts silly and funny.

Find it: Amazon, Half Price Books, IndieBound


Johnny Boo, age 5

Punk Farm
Author/illustrator: Jarrett J. Krosoczka
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf (April 2005)
Source: Public library

Once Farmer Joe is in bed and safely out of sight, five farm animals put on a concert for the other animals. Punk Farm's rendition of Old MacDonald is a hit with the crowd and with Johnny Boo (especially when LitDad acts it out). This is the perfect book for a kid (mine) who wants to be a rock star when he grows up, although I'm pretty sure most kids will love it as well. The sequel, Punk Farm on Tour, is equally as good.

Johnny Boo's note: It's rockin'. It's kind of like my favorite book, and it's awfully useful.

Find it: Amazon, Half Price Books, IndieBound 

Flight Explorer, Volume One
Editor: Kazu Kibuishi
Publisher: Villard (March 2008)
Source: Public library

Flight Explorer is a comic anthology put together by the creator of Copper, one of Tintin and Johnny Boo's favorite graphic novels, and includes short works targeted to children. Johnny Boo's favorite story from Copper, in which Copper and his dog hop atop a cluster of irritated mushrooms to get across a ravine, is here, as are a couple of stories with already familiar characters (Jellaby and Missile Mouse). There are a lot more for us to check out that I know both boys will love (especially Zita the Space Girl).

Johnny Boo's note: It's funny and preposterous. I like it because it's lovable. I like Copper, Fish 'n' Chips, Big Mouth, Missile Mouse, and the one where the guy gets his eyeballs off [Zita the Space Girl].

Find it: Amazon, Half Price Books, IndieBound

We're linking this post up with Kid Konnection and What My Child Is Reading.

Disclosure: We are an Amazon and IndieBound affiliate, which means that if you click on any links to Amazon.com or IndieBound in this post and purchase anything, we will earn a small commission through our relationship with Amazon or IndieBound, at no additional cost to you.

4 comments:

Laura at Library of Clean Reads said...

My daughter loves Garfield and we love anything chocolate! I think my son would absolutely love The Chocolate Touch. Thanks for bringing these to my attention.

Debbie said...

I am going to have to see if I can get The Chocolate Touch.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I think The Chocolate Touch is written about my daughter :) Will definitely be looking for that one. Thanks for joining WMCIR!

Julie P. said...

All of these books sounds good, but I think my son would adore PUNK FARM! Although he is a huge chocolate fan too!